Saturday, September 17, 2011

Espana at last!

Today is Saturday and we have finally arrived in Spain!  We stayed last night in Rubies (perhaps misspelled) in an albuergue that was new and clean but in a room that would sleep about 22 people.  Thankfully it was not full.  Sleeping with 22 of your best friends who you do not know is strange.  We did laundry in the laundry sink and I hung out my clothes line that Ken made for me.  I felt liberated in having figured out that I could actually figure out the laundry line!  We journeyed out this morning at 6:25am in the dark and walked 12.5 miles.  It was grueling!  Lots of uphill and then downhill on rock washes.  Our Pilgrim sister Judy took a fall.  The German fellow who have been following us for a couple of days rushed to our aid and helped Judy up, looked her over, and then journeyed on.  They were very caring even though we do not speak the same language.  I have very limited access to the German language so between that and a lot of sign language we conversed.  We finally made it to Tui around 1:30pm to a very nice private albuergue whereby we only share the room with ourselves.  I can hardly wait to crawl under the covers tonight for a well deserved nights sleep.  Tomorrow we journey onto Perrino bringing us one more day closer to Santiago!  I am amazed that I am able to keep up the journey especially since there is not one part of me that does not hurt right now!  We have seen such amazing landscape along the way.  Lots and lots of grape arbors that smell wonderful.  I find that I am learning a lot about myself and my capabilities.

Ir would appear that the Camino is just one big happy family.  We have run into several of our fellow pilgrims that we have met along the way in one albuergue or another.  Lots of hugging and trying to converse with limited language and gestering.

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!  Sending love to you from España.

















Missing all of you and am looking forward to being home soon.

3 comments:

  1. I knew you would be so successful on this journey! I love and admire you SO much. You are such a strong, beautuful woman. Miss you tons! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat...it is Kathi. I did not have an account to post so Lisa logged on for me. What an amazing journey you are living!! I have enjoyed reading each and every journal entry. I am so proud of you! Hope the only snake you see the entire trip is your little pink one. It is super quiet in Monrovia....except Kristina, Emma and Graelyn arrived on Wednesday and things are hopping at our house. Please tell Portia and Rick that their feathered and furry friends are doing well. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I am looking forward to more stories. All my best, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure!! I am so proud of you. I'm sure the scenery, people, and experiences minimize the physical discomforts of the journey. Sending warm and 'soothing' thoughts to you and your compadres as you continue your trek. K

    ReplyDelete